Official website of the Department of Homeland Security Skip to main content

Citizenship Through Parents

If you were born outside of the United States, there are two general ways to obtain U.S. citizenship through U.S. citizen parents. You can acquire U.S. citizenship at birth (acquisition) or you can derive citizenship from your parents after your birth but before the age of 18 (derivation).

Form Filing Fee(s)

Ready to Apply?

Citizenship Through Parents tile

Related Options